[openib-general] ifup/ifdown scripts don't work with IPoIB

Bob Woodruff robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Oct 27 10:42:25 PDT 2005

Hal wrote,
>I think arping needs a minor change to work for IB due to the difference in
the
>HW addresses for IPoIB and other LAN MACs.

>-- Hal

Yep. That is the conclusion that we came to also.
A work around for now, one can just remove the arping check
in ifup if the device is an ib device. Not perfect, but
allows it to work for ib devices and the normal ifcfg-xxxx scripts.

Something like,

    if [ "x`echo ${REALDEVICE} | sed -e "s/^ib.//"`" != "x" ]; then
        if ! arping -q -c 2 -w 3 -D -I ${REALDEVICE} ${IPADDR} ; then
            echo $"Error, some other host already uses address ${IPADDR}."
            exit 1
        fi
    fi

woody