[openib-general] Re: Questions about libibat, ib_uat, and ib_a

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Oct 31 09:30:43 PST 2005

Kevin Reilly wrote:
> Thanks Sean,
>     I think the rdma_resolve_addr() does what we want. Translate a local IP
> to a ib_device structure that i can use in the ibverbs.
> What we want to do is pretty simple and we won't need to create a
> connection.

Based on your description, I think that rdma_bind_addr() may work better.  The
bind call works synchronously, whereas, resolve is an asynchronous operation.
The difference is that bind translates a local address only, and resolve
translates remote and an optional local address.

> Can we have a discussion on the timeframe for this?

These are already working in the kernel.  A userspace implementation should be
available in 1-2 weeks.  I finished coding the necessary userspace support
kernel module on Friday of last week, and am now starting on the userspace library.