[openib-general] Re: ibv_get_async_event

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Sep 6 09:46:49 PDT 2005

Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Sean> I think that this will only work if users are using a single
>     Sean> thread to poll for events.  I don't think that we want to
>     Sean> impose such a restriction.
>
> But I think Michael has a point.  Do we really want to impose the cost
> of an extra pthread_mutex_lock/unlock for every completion event just
> so we make sure a pathological app is race-free?

An app that simply uses multiple threads for event processing can hit this
issue.  If we can avoid this overhead for completion processing that would be
good, but I don't see a way to do it without imposing some sort of restriction.

Does the problem go away if we require users to poll for all CQ events after
destroying a QP, but before destroying a CQ?