[openib-general] Re: osmtest/OpenSM: ServiceGID and busy status

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Fri Sep 9 10:29:14 PDT 2005

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A couple of things about osmtest (and one is related to OpenSM):
>
> 1. It appears that osmt_service.c sets ServiceRecords with the subnet
> prefix of the ServiceGID set to 0 ? Is that the correct thing to do
> (from an osmtest perspective) ?
>
>                                 ServiceGID..............0x0000000000000000 : 0x0008f10403960559
Well, I could not find where the spec require the validation of the provided GID field for
ServiceRecords. The fact we allow non valid or unknown GIDs to be registered might become useful.

> More importantly, should the SM allow this (is this a valid GID) ?
> Shouldn't it match one of the GIDs for that port that is setting the
> ServiceRecord ?
As I said - I did not see anywhere in the spec a specific requirement for that.
Why do you see this as an issue?

> 2. In general in osmtest (and other SA client code using the vendor
> layer), when a remote error is indicated (MAD status != success), this
> is indicated as a remote error. It appears that the various
> clients/applications (osmtest is one) is not dealing with BUSY which can
> be returned by an SM.
This is a big hole! Thanks for bringing it up. I think we should enhance the
SA client code to recognize this and re-issue the MAD. Can this be done in the
lowest possible layer?