[openib-general] Re: osmtest/OpenSM: ServiceGID and busy status

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Sep 9 12:52:32 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 13:29, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A couple of things about osmtest (and one is related to OpenSM):
> >
> > 1. It appears that osmt_service.c sets ServiceRecords with the subnet
> > prefix of the ServiceGID set to 0 ? Is that the correct thing to do
> > (from an osmtest perspective) ?
> >
> >                                 ServiceGID..............0x0000000000000000 : 0x0008f10403960559
> Well, I could not find where the spec require the validation of the provided GID field for
> ServiceRecords. The fact we allow non valid or unknown GIDs to be registered might become useful.

I may be wrong but:
ServiceGID says port GID for service. A port GID must meet the
requirements in the addressing section.

> > More importantly, should the SM allow this (is this a valid GID) ?
> > Shouldn't it match one of the GIDs for that port that is setting the
> > ServiceRecord ?
> As I said - I did not see anywhere in the spec a specific requirement for that.
> Why do you see this as an issue?

See above.

> > 2. In general in osmtest (and other SA client code using the vendor
> > layer), when a remote error is indicated (MAD status != success), this
> > is indicated as a remote error. It appears that the various
> > clients/applications (osmtest is one) is not dealing with BUSY which can
> > be returned by an SM.
> This is a big hole! Thanks for bringing it up. I think we should enhance the
> SA client code to recognize this and re-issue the MAD. Can this be done in the
> lowest possible layer?

For busy, it might be possible but is there one timeout retry strategy
or should this be left to the client ? For other errors, I think it
needs to be left to the client/application to determine whether it is in
error.