[openib-general] problems on device/ports initialization

Shirley Ma xma at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 21 14:52:38 PDT 2005

> I don't think that matters. What is the initialization failure that is
> occurring ? Any error message ?

We saw an error on Galaxy adapter while ib_mad fails to create QP1 for the
second port, then the first port becomes useless.
The right behavior shouldn't prevent port1 from working. Second if loading
ib_ipoib module afterwards, and configure the ib interface, the kernel
will hung and oops. Simpling add a port_usable[] field in ib_device will
address this problem.

After connecting the IB cable to port1, the port status changes from DOWN
to ACTIVE. The QP1 creation would be successful if in the async event
checking the port_usable[port_num] and calling mad_port_open() and
agent_port_open() for that particular port. I haven't tested this out yet.

Thanks
Shirley Ma
IBM Linux Technology Center
15300 SW Koll Parkway
Beaverton, OR 97006-6063
Phone(Fax): (503) 578-7638

Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com>
09/21/2005 01:56 PM

Shirley Ma/Beaverton/IBM at IBMUS
cc
openib-general at openib.org
Subject
Re: [openib-general] problems on device/ports initialization

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 16:01, Shirley Ma wrote:
> >Is there some additional indication after the IB device is detected
> >which indicates the ports are "ready" ?
>
> No, the only think I can think of after the cable is connected.

I don't think that matters. What is the initialization failure that is
occurring ? Any error message ?

-- hal