[openib-general] Re: IBIS modification

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Sep 29 05:35:06 PDT 2005

Hi Eitan,

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 06:40, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
> I have updated IBIS :
>
> 1. Support sm_key, v_key

What's v_key ?

>  and m_key (yes the last one is temporary until we
>
>    will need to support m_key(lid), m_key(dr path), m_key(guid).
>
>    to set them (anytime during the flow) you can ibis_opts configure
> -sm_key <value in host order>
>
> Example:
>
> % ibis_opts conf -sm_key 0x1234567812345678
>
> 0x1234567812345678
>
> % ibis_opts dump
>
> -single_thread TRUE -force_log_flush TRUE -log_flags 1 -log_file
> /tmp/ibis.log -sm_key 0x1234567812345678 -m_key 0x0000000000000000
> -v_key 0x0000000000000000
>
> % sacNodeQuery getTable 0
>
> % ibis_opts conf -sm_key 0
>
> 0x0000000000000000
>
> % sacNodeQuery getTable 0
>
> nr:21 nr:23 nr:25 nr:27
>
> 2. Suport new ibis flag "-port_num <1..N>" to do teh trivial init
> sequence.
>
>    Note this is not the way scripst should eb written as they should
>
>    modify the log file using ibis_opts conf -log_file before calling
> init.
>
> 3. wrapper updated accordingly.

Thanks for the heads up.

> You did not get back to me with feedback about moving the ibis and
> ibdm to the trunk.

Don't forget the simulator too :-)

So here's my take:

1. In terms of ibdm and the simulator (ibmgtsim), I believe these are
properly located in the OpenIB tree. I also don't think I personally
have sufficient experience with them as yet so it is too soon at least
for me. I also haven't seen anyone else post any experiences with this
or opinion on it on the list.

2. In terms of ibis, I have superficially played with this tool.
Although I think there are different approaches to the problem which
this tool addresses, Although I don't see the urgency in moving it to
the trunk (it is every bit just as useful where it is located in the
tree, perhaps just a hair less convenient), I am open to moving this to
the trunk as I think it is useful. This would be conditional on
your/Mellanox support for this. What is the commitment to this ?

Also, what do others on the list think ? Has anyone used ibis aside from
me and Mellanox ?

Also, a detail: Where would it be moved ? Under
userspace/management/ibis or somewhere else ?