[openib-general] IPoIB configuration

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Sep 29 11:32:14 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 14:00, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do I have to do something special in order to configure IPoverIB besides
> from loading the ib_ipoib kernel module (and it's dependencies), and calling
> ifconfig ib0 <ip> up?

No, that should be sufficient.

> On our machines, the modules load fine, opensm runs, ports are in active
> state, no error messages from ifconfig. However, there seems not to be any
> communication over ib0. Ping'ing other machines does not work, for example.

Can you ping the subnet broadcast address (e.g. ping -b 192.168.0.255 if
the ib0 is 192.168.0.x) ?

Do /sys/class/net/ib0/statistics/rx_packets and/or "tcpdump -i ib0" show
anything on the other nodes when you try to ping or something ?

Are there any messages in /var/log/messages pertaining to ib_ ?

Also, are there any errors in the OpenSM log ? Can you look there ?
Perhaps rerun OpenSM with -V and send the log.

Please consult http://www.openib.org/docs/ipoib_faq.txt for more info.

-- Hal