[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Sep 29 11:44:18 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 14:38, Sean Hefty wrote:
> Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> >>If we restrict IB to a single subnet, do we need to worry about IP routing?  My
> >>assumption was no.  Is this an invalid assumption?
> >
> > I think so. There is nothing that precludes having multiple IPoIB
> > subnets on the same IB subnet.
>
> This seems similar to having multiple IP subnets on the same Ethernet subnet.
>
> I'm struggling with understanding how translation can even occur in this case.
> What DGID is used when querying for the path record, and how is it obtained?

Isn't it the DGID of the next hop IP router ? (I suppose in the case of
multiple IPoIB subnets on the same IB subnet, it could shortcut somehow
like NHRP does in terms of ATM v. CLIP (Classic IP over ATM).

> If this is a valid configuration, then it seems that we're still
> without a solution.

I'm not following you on this.

> What does SDP do in this case?

Same as AT. It does the route lookup and ARPs for and then asks for the
PathRecord of the next hop IP router.