[openib-general] Re: netdev reference counting problem with ib_at

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Sep 30 07:27:32 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 00:08, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Why does AT need to keep netdev reference for longer?

I don't think it really does and could be changed. I think (but am not
sure) it was a convenience of implementation to try to make the netdev
reference counting simpler.

It only needs to hold the netdev for sending the ARP (like SDP).

It needs the underlying ib_device and port for ATS and path queries as
well as reregistration if the interface address changes and
deregistration if the IPoIB interface is removed. (SDP doesn't need to
worry about these aspects (only path queries).)