[openib-general] Data Structures at UserSpace

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Apr 7 03:48:34 PDT 2006

Hi Takshak,

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 19:27, Chahande, Takshak wrote:
> Hi Hal and others,
>
> I find that, there are no standard header files exists at userspace
> which can define structure for PORT_INFO, NODE_INFO and other elements
> like Path Records, Service record etc.

There is no user space SA client support in gen2/OpenIB currently.

> So every individual has to define his own header files to define the
> data structures for these elements and use in their application
> program or tool.
>
> If it is exists then could you please point me out or if it does not
> then is there any plan or shall I provide such header files to
> make standard header files like we have mad.h, umad.h etc.

The current plan is to expose path records and multicast support to user
space. That's the next increment of support over the next couple months
but it sounds like that is insufficient for your needs.

If you are planning an SA diagnostics tool, there are 3 approaches in
increasing order of difficulty/magnitude of work:
1. Use the OpenSM SA client API for this (osmtest and some Mellanox
diagnostic tools use this currently).
2. Use the userspace/management libraries for this. This will take more
work as much if not all of the SA support is not there. (These are more
geared at SMPs).
3. Develop a user space SA client library for gen2 similar to the other
user space libraries (CM, CMA, etc.).

-- Hal