[openib-general] Location for iser-target code

Dan Bar Dov bardov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 02:37:26 PDT 2006

On 4/10/06, FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

> The OLS abstract may be more informative.
>
> http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2006/view_abstract.php?content_key=19

Is the full document available as well?

> In short, tgt is the framework for SCSI target drivers. The
> combination of tgt and the iSCSI target driver for NIC provides the
> similar features that IET does.

SCSI targets are LLDs that sit below the mid-layer. iSCSI target on
the other hand is a "network" protocol driver, that sits above SCSI
(sd, st, sg, or directly over mid-layer). Seems like you'd need two
different frameworks, no?

> We don't have the iSCSI target driver yet. Now we are working mainly
> on FCP and SRP. However, we will resume working on it.

To accomodate iSER, the iSCSI target driver itself would need to be
broken to the
iSCSI target engine, and the network (or data-mover aka DM) part. The
network part needs
an API that both the TCP DM and the ISER DM will provide. Does that make sense?

Dan