[openib-general] [RFC] remove kernel drivers from svn

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Apr 20 09:04:32 PDT 2006

What would people think of removing the kernel drivers from our svn
tree?  I see several reasons to do this:

 - Several groups are already using their own separate repositories
   anyway, so svn doesn't have all of the latest and greatest anyway.
   (For example both ehca and ipath are really maintained in private
   repositories)

 - Pulling patches out of svn to merge with a git tree generates extra
   time-wasting busy-work, both for the submitter and for me.

 - svn kernel drivers dilute testing attention from the upstream
   kernel, which means that upstream is not as high-quality as possible.

Getting rid of svn would encourage new features to be developed as
self-contained patch sets, which makes an eventual upstream merge much
easier.  And of course having git as our core repository would make
developing on a branch far far easier.

 - R.