[openib-general] [RFC] remove kernel drivers from svn

Bob Woodruff robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Apr 20 09:27:16 PDT 2006

Roland wrote,
> - Several groups are already using their own separate repositories
>   anyway, so svn doesn't have all of the latest and greatest anyway.
>   (For example both ehca and ipath are really maintained in private
>   repositories)
>- Pulling patches out of svn to merge with a git tree generates extra
>   time-wasting busy-work, both for the submitter and for me.

> - svn kernel drivers dilute testing attention from the upstream
>   kernel, which means that upstream is not as high-quality as possible.

>Getting rid of svn would encourage new features to be developed as
>self-contained patch sets, which makes an eventual upstream merge much
>easier.  And of course having git as our core repository would make
>developing on a branch far far easier.

> - R.

I don't have a problem moving from SVN to something like git if it makes
the kernel development and pushing upstream easier as long as the database
is available in the open and not kept in some private repository, which is
not the open source way.

I would also like to see all components user and kernel use the same source
control tool so that I don't have to install learn and maintain lots of
different tools.

my 2 cents,

woody