[openib-general] [RFC] remove kernel drivers from svn

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Thu Apr 20 10:55:35 PDT 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Sean Hefty wrote:

> >What would people think of removing the kernel drivers from our svn
> >tree?  I see several reasons to do this:
>
> I brought up moving from svn to git in a PathForward meeting
> yesterday.  I was asked to send an email to the openib mail list
> describing the benefits of the move, most of which you just gave.
> I think as long as we can get a majority of the maintainers to agree
> to such a move, we can do it.

Roland is proposing moving the repository location (from
OpenFabrics.org to kernel.org) and changing the version control tool.

Are you also in favor of doing both or just changing the version
control tool to git.

I'm indifferent with regards to the version control tool, but I would
like to see the repository remain unified. As a developer of both a
userspace library and kernel ULP, I find it very convenient to be able
to pull all the code from one place.

Roland brings up some good points with regards to upstream testing and
merge overhead.

With regards to upstream testing, would targeting the OpenFabric's
repository at the lastest prepatch release instead of stable release
help?

How much of the merging overhead would go away if OpenFabrics used
git?

> The one concern that was brought up that I haven't looked at yet
> dealt with how different accounts are handled with git.

What about the revision history? Can we convert our svn logs to git?