[openib-general] [RFC] remove kernel drivers from svn

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at pathscale.com
Thu Apr 20 10:58:54 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 09:04 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
> What would people think of removing the kernel drivers from our svn
> tree?

>From a driver maintainer's perspective, this is okay by me.  We just
drop big patches into Subversion periodically to sync it up with our
internal tree, while we feed "real" patches to you for your git tree, so
this eliminates a step.

I don't think it will help with the confusion over what's going to go to
Linus soon versus stuff that's just sitting in the tree for a long time,
though.  For example, if asked, I can't articulate why there's a
one-line difference between the ipath driver in SVN and in git, other
than "some headers haven't been pushed yet, for some reason".

>From the perspective of people consuming this stuff (who greatly
outnumber people actually hacking on the kernel tree), it might make
sense to just drop a kernel snapshot into the Subversion tree on a
regular basis, as a convenience, so that those who don't wish to need
not put up with the idiosyncracies of git.

	<b