[openib-general] making sense of dapl (and dat.conf)

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Wed Aug 2 13:14:54 PDT 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> So, let's suppose I build ibverbs, libecha/libmthca, and dapl from
> subversion trunk.. what should my /etc/dat.conf file look like so things
> actually work?
>
> Right now I have:

You shouldn't have multiple entries with the same ia_name.

> OpenIB-cma-ip u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/local/lib/libdaplcma.so
> mv_dapl.1.2 "10.40.4.56 0" ""
> OpenIB-cma-ip u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/local/lib/libdaplcma.so
> mv_dapl.1.2 "10.40.4.54 0" ""
> OpenIB-cma-name u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/local/lib/libdaplcma.so
> mv_dapl.1.2 "p5l6.ib 0" ""
> OpenIB-cma-name u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/local/lib/libdaplcma.so
> mv_dapl.1.2 "p5l4.ib 0" ""
> OpenIB-cma-netdev u1.2 nonthreadsafe default
> /usr/local/lib/libdaplcma.so mv_dapl.1.2 "ib0 0" ""
>
> Is there any way I can avoid having to have a different config file for
> each machine?

If you use a CMA provider, I believe that this should work on all
nodes:

OpenIB-cma u1.2 nonthreadsafe default /usr/lib/libdaplcma.so mv_dapl.1.2 "ib0 0" ""

> Is this documented anywhere what all these fields actually mean in a
> way that makes sense to those of us who haven't read the DAT
> specification, or are familiar with ibverbs?

In the uDAPL docs directory, there is a brief descpription in
the same dat.conf. There is a longer description of how the DAT
registry works in dapl_registry_design.txt.