[openib-general] RDMA_CM_EVENT_UNREACHABLE(-ETIMEDOUT)

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Tue Aug 8 01:37:14 PDT 2006

Sean Hefty wrote:
> Or Gerlitz wrote:
>> 0) ones that are of no interest to the CMA nor to the ULP above it but
>> rather only to the local CM (are there any?)
>>
>> 1) ones that *must* be handled internally by the CMA (are there any?)
>>
>> 2) ones that *can* be handled internally by the CMA (eg stale-conn)
>>
>> 3) ones that can be translated to errno value (eg invalid-sid (8) to
>> econnrefused) and set the cma event status field to the errno value
>>
>> 4) ones that do not fall into none of 0-3 above, for those set the
>> status field to ENOPROTO and once a CMA app that gets ENOPROTO and has
>> an issue with it would show up, we will see what can we do.
>>
>> Please let me know what you think
>
> I think we'd have to take each reject code and see if it makes sense to
> change what's done with it.  I'd rather expose the underlying reject
> reason to the user, than convert it to some other status code that may
> mask the real reason for the reject.

Conceptually, do we agree that it would be better not to expose IB
reject code to the CMA consumers? that is in the spirit of the CMA being
a framework for doing connection management in RDMA transport
independent fashion, etc.

The CMA does return **errno** values on the status field for some events
(eg with UNREACHABLE event as of REQ/REP timeout, as in the case that
started this thread...), so we need to decide a clearer approach here.

Or.