[openib-general] RDMA_CM_EVENT_UNREACHABLE(-ETIMEDOUT)

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Aug 8 09:34:31 PDT 2006

Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Conceptually, do we agree that it would be better not to expose IB
> reject code to the CMA consumers? that is in the spirit of the CMA being
> a framework for doing connection management in RDMA transport
> independent fashion, etc.

My concern is that I do not want to mask the real reason for the reject in a way
that prevents the user from understanding what's needed to establish the
connection.  A different way to view this is that the event provides the generic
information, and the status detailed.

> The CMA does return **errno** values on the status field for some events
> (eg with UNREACHABLE event as of REQ/REP timeout, as in the case that
> started this thread...), so we need to decide a clearer approach here.

We can provide two status values with an event, one that maps to an errno, and
another that maps to a transport specific reason.