[openib-general] [opensm] the default behavior of the openSM causes problems (configure the PKey table)

Dotan Barak dotanb at mellanox.co.il
Mon Aug 14 04:36:48 PDT 2006

Hi.

I noticed that the behavior of the openSM was changed in the latest driver:

in the past, every HCA was configured (by the FW) with 0xffff in the first entry.
today, the PKey table is being configured by the openSM: the first entry
is being set to 0x7fff (except for the host that the SM is being executed from)

This behavior is very problemtic because not all of the users would like
to change the default PKey table (for example: MPI users).
Users that will try to use OFED 1.1 (in the same way they used OFED 1.0) will
get unexplained failures, because the connectivity because the nodes will be broken.
(even the perfquery started to fail after executing the SM)

I think that the default behavior of the openSM should be: not to change the
PKey table, unless the user provided a PKey table policy file.

Here are the props of the machines

Host Architecture : x86_64
Linux Distribution: Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
Kernel Version    : 2.6.9-34.ELsmp
GCC Version       : gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 20051201 (Red Hat 3.4.5-2)
Memory size       : 4039892 kB
Driver Version    : gen2_linux-20060813-1905 (REV=8916)
HCA ID(s)         : mthca0
HCA model(s)      : 23108
FW version(s)     : 3.4.927
Board(s)          : MT_0030000001