[openib-general] Conflicting typedefs for "ib_gid_t"

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Aug 14 15:10:01 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Eitan Zahavi <eitan at mellanox.co.il>:
> ib_gid_t is just another example for a struct defined by IBTA.

IBTA only defines a wire protocol. It's often wrong for applications
work in terms of raw packets- we should have libraries to encapsulate
typical usage.

While using on-the-wire values for library API sometimes makes sense,
this is not necessarily always the right way and e.g. efficiency concerns
might dictate otherwise.

> It has nothing to do with specific stack implementation.

The name is stack specific.  Whether it's best as an array or a union or a
struct is specific for an app.

--
MST