[openib-general] basic IB doubt

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Thu Aug 24 15:53:37 PDT 2006

 Greg wrote,
>In this case we're talking about code which can easily be changed to
>follow the standard, in addition to having a hack mode that's faster
>on 1 particular hardware implementation.

>You seem to be implying that the applications are set in stone, and
>that their authors have no interest in making them
>standard-conformant. I don't think that's the case. If there is a
>standard extension which can provide better performance on 1 particular
>hardware implementation, let's add it to the standard. But let's
>also make the software standard-conformant on other hardware.

>-- greg

If the overhead in polling the CQ rather than memory was not so high,
they would have used it, but they found that it added > 2us to the
latency
and found they could get better performance if they polled memory, so
that
is what they did, and as long as the hardware (or at least the hardware
they
care about support's it) they won't change it.
If you can show them how they could get "better" (not just equal)
performance
using some other method, they would probably listen.