[openib-general] libibcm can't open /dev/infiniband/ucm0

Bub Thomas thomas.bub at thomson.net
Tue Aug 29 04:35:43 PDT 2006

Made some progress today:

The file OFED-1.0.1/SOURCES/openib-1.0.1/src/userspace/libibcm/README
talks about
	"mknod /dev/infiniband/ucm0 c 231 255"

This is not working for me. I'm getting the device /dev/infiniband/ucm0
created but the libibcm still could not open the device

Looked into the openIB kernel sources and found that the minor number
seems to be wrong in the README file. With a minor number "224" and the
creation like:

	"mknod /dev/infiniband/ucm0 c 231 224"

I got the device created andtthe libibcm could open the device.

So I assume this to be a bug at least in the README file. I'm not the
kernel expert to tell where else this has to be changed.

Should I open a bug on this?

I got a first SLES10 system eaelier this week, there I'm using the
ofed-1.0-sles10-rpms_x86_64.tar.gz instead of the OFED-1.0.1.tgz.
Interesting enough the /dev/infiniband/ucm0 got created and usable
automatically.

Thomas