[openib-general] NFS/RDMA for Linux: client and server update release 7

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Sat Dec 2 23:45:54 PST 2006

Talpey, Thomas wrote:
> At 06:12 PM 12/1/2006, Roland Dreier wrote:
>> What is the status of moving this code towards merging to the upstream kernel?
>
> For the client there are two main prerequisites, both in the RPC layer
> and both in progress. One is the completion of the RPC transport switch
> merge, mainly the ability to load as modules. The second is a new mount
> syscall api, to allow transport-specific arguments to be passed in. We
> have a temporary solution for that at the moment. When these two are
> in place, the client is ready to consider merging.

When these two are ready for merging, note that you don't have to wait
for them to be merged in rX and then push the client for rX+1, you can
push them all together. Moreover, if the rnfs client is the only user of
these features you might not be able to push them without it being
pushed as well.

> Bottom line, we can put it on the table soon.

As was stated over this list few times in the past, as your code is an
rdma driver which was never send out to this list for RFC (sending a
pointer to some tgz does not count as its not the common practice in the
linux kernel open source dev cycle) you better put it on the table
sooner then later. Since 2.6.20 has been open, its seems the correct
time if you consider pushing it for 2.6.21 .

Or.