[openib-general] OpenSM Issues of the last couple days

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Fri Dec 8 08:42:13 PST 2006

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Hi Eitan,
>
> Just wanted to close the loop on the OpenSM issues of the last couple
> days.
>
> 1. When can you supply an OpenSM verbose log for the InformInfo
> subscribe problem you reported earlier today ? Failing that, I don't
> know how to reproduce this.

Attached
> 2. With the latest tree, do your simulation tests now work ? The
> osm.fdbs UNREACHABLE was only a problem with the file and not with the
> LFTs in the network.

Yes they do.
> 3. In terms of file format changes, the lack of any file versioning
> makes it difficult to move these forward when the need arises. (The
> format change to osm.mcfdbs was unintentional (not by design)).

The issues until now were not that a file format change was required but
were unintentional.
When we will have a real need to change file format I am sure we can
agree on adding version and change all parsers.
> 4. I encourage you to look at and comment on the OpenSM patches rather
> than waiting for them to be in the tree.

I am sure you did not mean to, but now I have to admit my limited skills
in catching bugs by reading patches :-( .
Instead on relying on bug reading I use automatic regression. I wish we
could agree on some regression that
each developer will have to run before patches are committed to the trunk.
On my side I would love to have an automatic way to include all the
patches posted (one at a time) run "dead or alive" check
and provide feedback. Currently my automation is limited to testing the
trunk. So I will always be complaining after the patches are
committed. I think this is the way most other components testing works.

What kind of regression suite do you and Sasha use?
Can we agree on minimal pre-commit testing?
Can we have a branch for that sake where all patches will first have to
go into for 2 days? (it will allow for pre-trunk testing).