[openib-general] userspace git trees

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Sun Dec 10 13:50:33 PST 2006

Hi,

Recently I found this OFA 'Userspace Git Trees' downloading howto:

https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Downloading+Code+From+the+OFA+git+Repositories

and thought that we could make it simpler for end-user to choose the
"right" git tree just by adding one more series of symbolic links under
/pub/scm. This links will point to the maintainer's "official" trees, and
we will have only one such link per project.

So typical downloading howto for end-users will looks like:

  git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/dapl
  git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/ibutils
  git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/imgen

instead of

  git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~ardavis/dapl
  git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~eitan/ibutils
  git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~mst/imgen

as it is now.

To illustrate this I've added already couple of such symbolic links
under /pub/scm and it is visible now via gitweb:

  http://staging.openfabrics.org/git

Comments, objections?

(I did this just to show how this looks and probably missed some
projects. And of course I will remove those links if this idea will be
rejected.)

Sasha