[openib-general] userspace git trees

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Dec 10 13:59:57 PST 2006

> Recently I found this OFA 'Userspace Git Trees' downloading howto:
>
> https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Downloading+Code+From+the+OFA+git+Repositories
>
> and thought that we could make it simpler for end-user to choose the
> "right" git tree just by adding one more series of symbolic links under
> /pub/scm. This links will point to the maintainer's "official" trees, and
> we will have only one such link per project.
>
> So typical downloading howto for end-users will looks like:
>
>   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/dapl
>   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/ibutils
>   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/imgen
>
> instead of
>
>   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~ardavis/dapl
>   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~eitan/ibutils
>   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~mst/imgen
>
> as it is now.

NACK, please remove this. These soft links are messy, and
the fact that one needs root just to add a tree shows just how the approach
is broken.

If you have some temporary tree, just mention this in description,
and gitweb will show this. And won't the problem basically go away
if you move ~sashak temporary trees out of ~/scm? It seems we don't
have a lot of duplicates besides that.

<rant>
But in the long run, no development git tree is or should be the *official*
one - otherwise we get back to the mess we had with svn, with people
pushing for inclusion in the "official" tree just to get visibility.
The result? The "official" tree then becomes also the least stable.

What we need is official *releases*. Not official development trees.
And end users should either stick to releases or know what they are doing
and select the tree they actually *want*.
</rant>

--
MST