[openib-general] userspace git trees

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Dec 10 15:05:15 PST 2006

> > > Recently I found this OFA 'Userspace Git Trees' downloading howto:
> > >
> > > https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Downloading+Code+From+the+OFA+git+Repositories
> > >
> > > and thought that we could make it simpler for end-user to choose the
> > > "right" git tree just by adding one more series of symbolic links under
> > > /pub/scm. This links will point to the maintainer's "official" trees, and
> > > we will have only one such link per project.
> > >
> > > So typical downloading howto for end-users will looks like:
> > >
> > >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/dapl
> > >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/ibutils
> > >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/imgen
> > >
> > > instead of
> > >
> > >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~ardavis/dapl
> > >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~eitan/ibutils
> > >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~mst/imgen
> > >
> > > as it is now.
> >
> > NACK, please remove this. These soft links are messy, and
> > the fact that one needs root just to add a tree shows just how the approach
> > is broken.
>
> No, it is not instead, but in addition to ~user/ links, so root is _not_
> required to add tree.

right but suddenly root is needed to make it "official".
Let's avoid the whole policy-setting-by-softlinks.
"I have root" should not equal, or be required for "I say what's official".

> > If you have some temporary tree, just mention this in description,
>
> And when it is not temporary tree?

Say what it is in the description.
Put a link in wiki.

> > and gitweb will show this. And won't the problem basically go away
> > if you move ~sashak temporary trees out of ~/scm?
>
> For me it is unclear yet how long we may need this - 1.1 still be in
> SVN yet, and 1.1 git branch is updated there.

So ~sashak/scm things track the 1.1 branch in git?
Move it to ~sashak/scm/ofed-1.1 then, and set the description accordingly?

> > It seems we don't
> > have a lot of duplicates besides that.
>
> But we will have - we are running git hosting only week or so and already
> talking about pre-trunk trees for some projects. :)

These should be branches, not separate trees.
So no issue there.

--
MST