[openib-general] userspace git trees

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Sun Dec 10 14:56:13 PST 2006

On 23:59 Sun 10 Dec     , Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > Recently I found this OFA 'Userspace Git Trees' downloading howto:
> >
> > https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Downloading+Code+From+the+OFA+git+Repositories
> >
> > and thought that we could make it simpler for end-user to choose the
> > "right" git tree just by adding one more series of symbolic links under
> > /pub/scm. This links will point to the maintainer's "official" trees, and
> > we will have only one such link per project.
> >
> > So typical downloading howto for end-users will looks like:
> >
> >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/dapl
> >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/ibutils
> >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/imgen
> >
> > instead of
> >
> >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~ardavis/dapl
> >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~eitan/ibutils
> >   git clone git://staging.openfabrics.org/~mst/imgen
> >
> > as it is now.
>
> NACK, please remove this. These soft links are messy, and
> the fact that one needs root just to add a tree shows just how the approach
> is broken.

No, it is not instead, but in addition to ~user/ links, so root is _not_
required to add tree.

> If you have some temporary tree, just mention this in description,

And when it is not temporary tree?

> and gitweb will show this. And won't the problem basically go away
> if you move ~sashak temporary trees out of ~/scm?

For me it is unclear yet how long we may need this - 1.1 still be in
SVN yet, and 1.1 git branch is updated there.

> It seems we don't
> have a lot of duplicates besides that.

But we will have - we are running git hosting only week or so and already
talking about pre-trunk trees for some projects. :)

Other opinions?

Sasha