[openib-general] userspace git trees

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Wed Dec 13 22:19:51 PST 2006

> > > For me it is unclear yet how long we may need this - 1.1 still be in
> > > SVN yet, and 1.1 git branch is updated there.
> >
> > By the way, one can't actually build OFED 1.1 userspace from git
> > because OFED also applies some patches after checking things out
> > from svn. They are here:
> > https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.1/ofed/patches/user_fixes
>
> I guess those patches should be committed in 1.1 svn branch (and imported
> to git's 1.1).

This could be done, but why invest the time?
And once we do touch the branch, who will test that the thing you
pull from there even works?

I would say that if you really want to mirror the OFED branch,
and make it buildable to some extent, the way to do this
would be to have a single git tree with all of OFED - patches,
scripts and all.

Oh, by the way, some tools in OFED tried to read an svn version
in their code, this wouldn't work on git.
And I don't see git trees for a lot of OFED bits - look at
https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.1/ofed/

What I am trying to say is, let's just keep SVN around and
do OFED 1.1 maintainance there. You can't fix the history.

> Any reason why it is not committed?

This was dicussed before OFED 1.1 and seems to have worked well so far.

We tried to keep our modifications to upstream as separate as possible -
this made transition to upstream in OFED 1.2 very easy as it was trivial
to check what was applied and what wasn't.

--
MST