[openib-general] userspace git trees

Sasha Khapyorsky sashak at voltaire.com
Thu Dec 14 10:12:59 PST 2006

On 08:19 Thu 14 Dec     , Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > By the way, one can't actually build OFED 1.1 userspace from git
> > > because OFED also applies some patches after checking things out
> > > from svn. They are here:
> > > https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.1/ofed/patches/user_fixes
> >
> > I guess those patches should be committed in 1.1 svn branch (and imported
> > to git's 1.1).
>
> This could be done, but why invest the time?

To do commits? SVN commit was done anyway, just in the different place
and in form of the diffs.

> And once we do touch the branch, who will test that the thing you
> pull from there even works?

How this is different? Who will test branch + ofed_fixes diffs?
Use tag to mark tested version (or date).

> I would say that if you really want to mirror the OFED branch,
> and make it buildable to some extent, the way to do this
> would be to have a single git tree with all of OFED - patches,
> scripts and all.

I'm able to build OpenSM for OFED 1.1 from git tree just fine. And
synced 1.1 branch in git let me some useful stuff - I can log, diff,
rebase and cherry-pick fixes, etc.. - everything is in-tree (I said
that I like branches :)).

> Oh, by the way, some tools in OFED tried to read an svn version
> in their code, this wouldn't work on git.
> And I don't see git trees for a lot of OFED bits - look at
> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.1/ofed/

IMHO this is not too much hard to switch OFED 1.1.x to git. But it is not
really my point - I just think that synced 1.1 branch in git tree can be
useful for developers and for 1.1 project's support works.

> What I am trying to say is, let's just keep SVN around and
> do OFED 1.1 maintainance there. You can't fix the history.
>
> > Any reason why it is not committed?
>
> This was dicussed before OFED 1.1 and seems to have worked well so far.
>
> We tried to keep our modifications to upstream as separate as possible -
> this made transition to upstream in OFED 1.2 very easy as it was trivial
> to check what was applied and what wasn't.

I cannot understand how not committing changes helps.

Sasha