[openib-general] [query]requirement of 'process_mad' in the HCA driver

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Dec 14 05:57:11 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 22:49, keshetti mahesh wrote:
> thanks for your reply,
>
> >The driver is needed to obtain the information for the IB node to
> fill
> >in the MADs for response to the SMA query. It may also issue some
> traps.
> >Similarly for PMA as well.
>
> Do u mean to say that HCA driver is needed to pass the HCA related
> information (like GID, GUID, port_info etc..) to the SMA so that it
> can reply to query(or GET ) MADs.

Yes.

>  Isn't SMA capable of doing the same by using "query_(gid, pkey,
> port)" verbs.

One reason I can think of is that not all the needed information is
available via verbs. I think there are some others as well.

> And final  questions  if it is really required to implement
> 'process_mad' in HCA driver then why it is not specified in the IB
> specifications.

IB spec is architecture not implementation.

> Whose duty is this (replying to query MADs) according to the IB
> psec.s(its duty of SMA right?)

Depends on the MAD but if you are referring to the SMA queries, then yes
it is the SMA's responsibility.

> I have observed that process_mad is not implemented in the IBM's eHCA
> driver. what is the case with it?

With eHCA, QP0 is not exposed to the host (at least currently) and the
SMA is totally implemented in firmware.

> PS: I am considering only SMA in the host s/w here.

This is a design choice.

-- Hal