[dat-discussions] [openib-general] [RFC] DAT 2.0 immediatedataproposal

Larsen, Roy K roy.k.larsen at intel.com
Mon Feb 6 11:10:15 PST 2006

If it is up to the ULP to separate out "normal" receive data from that
associated with a write immediate, how is this different from the ULP
doing a write followed by a send?  If there is no difference, then what
we're really talking about is a convenience to the initiating ULP.

Perhaps what would be best is to construct an API that allows the ULP to
perform standard write/send operations into one call which the
underlying provider could optimize into one transaction with the
associated interconnect interface. Better yet, a general request
combining interface would have even more value, but calling this
write/send "immediate" data is a stretch, if not downright silly.  Some
transports have true immediate data that provides unique value.  There
is nothing unique in a write/send sequence - ULPs do it all the time...

Roy