[openib-general] We have an OpenIB code release team

Matt Leininger mlleinin at hpcn.ca.sandia.gov
Mon Feb 13 23:43:07 PST 2006

OpenIB Community,

   At the OpenIB workshop we discussed putting together an OpenIB code
release team.  The first task is to work on a 1.0 release of the current
development branch of the OpenIB code.  We have some volunteers so we
now have our 1.0 release team

Bryan O'Sullivan has signed up to be the release manager for 1.0,
working with Robert Woodruff and Hal Rosenstock.

The charter of the release team includes:

- determine release mechanics (eg how and when snapshot is taken,
bug handling, etc - to be discussed on mailing list)
- make sure release meets the needs for RedHat, Novell, and other
distros
- provide some oversight to the testing matrix
- leverage the Q&A resources of the OpenIB industry members
- publish what gets tested, at some high level
- publish some release criteria for 1.0 features
  (eg, what makes a feature 1.0 as opposed to Beta)
- post release candidates for testing by the wider community
- ship the release, hopefully in not too many weeks.

The release team will be following up to discuss how this
will all work.

Thanks to all who have volunteered their time for this effort. I'd like
to encourage the OpenIB community to download the code release
candidates (when they are ready) and test it in your particular
computing environments.  This is an important step towards getting
OpenIB hardened and ready for inclusion into the various Linux
distributions.

  Thanks,

	- Matt