[openib-general] Plans for libibverbs 1.0, 1.1 and beyond

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Feb 16 11:17:41 PST 2006

I thought it might be helpful to give an informal roadmap of my plans
for libibverbs.  As I said, I hope to have a libibverbs 1.0 release
out in three weeks or so.  Once that happens, I plan to do 1.0.x
maintenance releases "as needed."

At the same time, I have some ideas for libibverbs 1.1.  I think that
I can get my ideas done in six months or so, which seems like a good
interval between major releases.  My ideas (also listed in the
libibverbs README) are the following; I'd like to hear what other
people's plans for libibverbs work are so that we can figure out if
those projects fit into a 1.1 release, and when we expect to land the
new features.

 * Implement memory window (MW) support.  This will break the
   device driver ABI, because new methods will need to be added to
   struct ibv_context_ops.

 * Implement the reregister memory region (MR) verb.  We will add an
   extension to the IB spec to allow the application to indicate that
   the region is only being extended, and that operations in progress
   should _not_ fail (contrary to the IB spec, which states that
   reregister must be implemented so that it behaves equivalently to a
   deregister followed by a register).  This will break the device
   driver ABI, because a new method will need to be added to struct
   ibv_context_ops.

 * Eliminate the dependency on libsysfs by implementing the required
   sysfs handling directly.  This will break the API, because the dev
   and ibdev members of struct ibv_device will be removed.  It will
   also break the device driver ABI, because the signature of the
   driver initialization function will change.  The driver
   initialization function will be changed as part of this work; this
   has the added benefit of allowing us to choose a better name than
   "openib_driver_init."

I'm also thinking of moving my libibverbs and libmthca development
trees to git (most likely hosted at kernel.org).  This has the
drawback of moving their development repositories out of the common
openib.org svn tree.  However, it will make handling 1.0, 1.1 and
feature development branches much easier.  I'd like to hear opinions
on this before I make a decision.

 - R.