[openib-general] Re: Plans for libibverbs 1.0, 1.1 and beyond

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Thu Feb 16 11:48:22 PST 2006

Quoting r. Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com>:
> Subject: Plans for libibverbs 1.0, 1.1 and beyond
>
> I thought it might be helpful to give an informal roadmap of my plans
> for libibverbs.  As I said, I hope to have a libibverbs 1.0 release
> out in three weeks or so.  Once that happens, I plan to do 1.0.x
> maintenance releases "as needed."

One thing that might be important is to use the upcoming
madvise(MADV_DONTFORK) on private CQ/QP work request ring buffers.
This would require allocating these from page-sized pools.

> I'm also thinking of moving my libibverbs and libmthca development
> trees to git (most likely hosted at kernel.org).  This has the
> drawback of moving their development repositories out of the common
> openib.org svn tree.  However, it will make handling 1.0, 1.1 and
> feature development branches much easier.  I'd like to hear opinions
> on this before I make a decision.

Well, since you ask, I am pretty happy with how things work with svn.

Do you expect sufficient development on branches that needs advanced
merging that git provides? I would think we just need an occasional
bugfix there, which should be easy to handle by plain patches.

Hopefully we'll just have a development trunk and stable branches,
not development branches.

--
Michael S. Tsirkin
Staff Engineer, Mellanox Technologies