[openib-general] Plans for libibverbs 1.0, 1.1 and beyond

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Thu Feb 16 15:39:58 PST 2006

    Bob> Having them packaged in the same release makes life easier
    Bob> for those that want to install and use openib. I have put
    Bob> together just 2 RPMs (one kernel-mode) and (one user-mode)
    Bob> for my internal customers and they still seem to have
    Bob> problems getting things installed and I have to spend time
    Bob> helping them along.

This is probably OK in the short term but eventually you will go crazy
when a bug fix in libmthca forces you to rebuild opensm, udapl, etc, etc.

X.org faced exactly the same issue and they spent a huge amount of
time converting their tree from a monolith to a modular build.  We
should learn from their suffering and not create a monolith in the
first place.

 - R.