[openib-general] Towards a 1.0 release of OpenIB

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at pathscale.com
Thu Feb 23 08:20:34 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 15:51 +0200, Moni Levy wrote:
> On 2/22/06, Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at pathscale.com> wrote:
> >      * We would like everyone to be able to run the same tests, so
> >        someone must gather test suites and execution instructions
> >        together.
>
> How would you like to manage that list of tests ? Wiki ?

I think that would be a good idea.

> > Within the next week, I'd like to gain an understanding of the following
> > things:
> >
> >      * Which features users want to see tested
>
> again, do you expect that the tests will be listed in email or you
> prefer to start some kind of a document ?

We should certainly let people know of updates to the wiki via email,
since I hate having to check a web site every few days to see if
anything has changed.

> >      * Which distros users want binary packages for
>
> I guess that SLES 10 latest beta & EL4 in my opinion will be ok to start with.

That's useful to know, thanks.

A possible problem with doing RHEL4 builds is that RHEL4 is tied to a
2.6.9 kernel, so someone will have to maintain the driver backport
stuff.

> >      * Who can sign up to build and test those packages
>
> I hope that the distros teams will be happy to do so together with the
> vendor companies.

Doug Ledford has said before that he'd build packages for EL4.  SUSE has
been very quiet so far.

> That might be a good idea for also simplifying the test setups bring up process.
> I think that we at least need to agree on a reference .config for the
> latest kernel to use for common ground.

For RHEL4, I'd suggest using Red Hat's .config, and just adding the
necessary IB bits.  This is what I do when building e.g. 2.6.15 kernels
for my own internal testing, too; I start out with the FC4
kernel .config, and modify it.

	<b