[openib-general] Suggested components to support in 1.0

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at pathscale.com
Fri Feb 24 11:20:12 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 10:56 -0800, Sean Hefty wrote:

> I'm not saying that kDAPL needs to be included in the release, but I don't think
> that this is the correct criteria to use when determining which modules to
> include in the OpenIB release.  We may very well have kernel modules that will
> never be merged into the kernel, such as test programs or debugging tools, that
> may make sense to add to a release.

I don't have a problem with shipping kernel components that are not
upstream or not going to be submitted upstream, provided there's a good
reason to have them present and they're not too intrusive.

In the case of kdapl, the nature of the upstream veto means that distros
will probably never pick it up as long as that veto isn't lifted.  Since
its entire purpose is, if my understanding is correct, to have other
in-kernel components use it, it's effectively dead code as it stands.
There is thus no practical value to including it, as far as I can see.

	<b