[openib-general] Suggested components to support in 1.0

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Fri Feb 24 14:42:40 PST 2006

 > HCA support (both kernel driver and userspace verbs components):

 >      * ehca
 >      * ipath

I would be concerned about putting these in the release, since the
kernel side will need to be revised for upstream inclusion.  There's
no guarantee that the ABI will remain stable, and hence there could be
some real compatibility problems.

 >      * SRP

SRP is upstream, and is needed to talk to the native IB storage that's
on the market.  I don't see why we would want to try and strip this
out of a release.

I've said this before, but I think the simplest way to handle kernel
components is to simply say we support vanilla upstream kernels.  If
your favorite feature isn't upstream, then this should motivate you to
get it upstream.

 - R.