[openib-general] fmr question

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Fri Feb 24 14:45:26 PST 2006

    Steve> Something similar to the mw_bind semantics should work to
    Steve> make it more like the iwarp fast-register (i'm not sure
    Steve> about IB 1.2).  A function like ib_bind_mw() to post the
    Steve> map WR, and then a new completion type to post the results
    Steve> back to the CQ...

    Steve> Would we just change ib_map_phys_fmr() to do this or create
    Steve> a new API function to preserve backwards compatibility?

There are pretty big problems with trying to simulate the "register
memory through a work queue" operation on current Mellanox HW (hence
the current FMR hack).  As hardware that supports the work queue stuff
becomes available, I think we should just add new APIs (mostly just
new work request structures) and leave the old FMR interface for
Mellanox HW.

 - R.