[openib-general] Suggested components to support in 1.0

Bob Woodruff robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Mon Feb 27 14:08:18 PST 2006

Bryan wrote,
>We'll have to see how many of those are feasible.  Packaging userspace
>for the different distros is easy enough; the big problem is backporting
>kernel support to kernels that will actually work on the distros in
>question, and building binary packages of those.

>I think the only feasible approach will be for people to build binary
>packages of whatever kernels they can and make them available.  People
>who test can either use those, or build their own kernels and report the
>kernel versions they are using when they send in test results.

I just committed some new backport patches for 2.6.9 EL kernels and
associated RPMS based on SVN5492, which matches the initial branch for
1.0 for those that want to do some initial testing of the 1.0 branch
before RC1.
I built RPMS for x86_64, ia64, and i686.

> - CPU and chipset platforms

>I assume ia64 needs to be included, too, but I would very much like
>people to let me know what platforms they want to see tested or can test
>themselves.

I have done some limited testing of ia64, uDAPL and IPoIB using Intel MPI to
drive them and so far, the branch looks stable.

>It would be good to have a common set of features and applications that
>vendors could test in a uniform way, so that we have at least a base set
>of somewhat standardised test results.  In addition, any further testing
>that people can perform and report on will be most welcome.

We will be testing primarily using Intel MPI on top of uDAPL on
x86_64 and Itaimium. I will also do some limited testing of IPoIB
and SDP using Intel MPI to drive them. Once we have a formal RC1, we will
likely load it up on our 32-node x86_64 and ia64 clusters and run some
real MPI applications using Intel MPI.

woody