[openib-general] Suggested components to support in 1.0

Bob Woodruff robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Mon Feb 27 15:46:12 PST 2006

Doug Ledford wrote,

>My spec files for both libibverbs and opensm include the related utilities
>and diags.  My one suggestion is that if you bother to create spec files
for
>a 1.0 release, then please don't use /usr/local, use the proper locations
>for files as though they were something other than 1 off local builds.  For
>example all the scripts in the management tree use /usr/local as their
>prefix, the configure program doesn't change them, so my rpm has a shell
>environment file it drops in /etc/profile.d in order to get the scripts to
>work without having to edit all the paths.  I'd prefer not to have to have
>that file in /etc/profile.d for an official 1.0 release ;-)

Also, should the makefiles in SVN target the "proper locations" rather than
/usr/local ? Right now, my test all-on-one usermode RPM targets
istall stuff in /usr/local, which isn't really the proper place but it
is the default target for the makefiles in SVN which allows me to easily
download
and build a newer version of the code from SVN, since that is where all the
makefiles want to put stuff.

If the release .spec files put stuff into places like /usr/lib or /usr/lib64
and the makefiles from SVN by default put stuff into /usr/local, then if
someone
tries to get a newer version from SVN and build it on a platform
that has the release code (in the proper places) they will end up with a
mess and could have a mismatch of components depending on how they
set their path.

woody