[openib-general] Suggested components to support in 1.0

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 16:06:53 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 03:46:12PM -0800, Bob Woodruff wrote:
> Doug Ledford wrote,
>
> >My spec files for both libibverbs and opensm include the related utilities
> >and diags.  My one suggestion is that if you bother to create spec files
> for
> >a 1.0 release, then please don't use /usr/local, use the proper locations
> >for files as though they were something other than 1 off local builds.  For
> >example all the scripts in the management tree use /usr/local as their
> >prefix, the configure program doesn't change them, so my rpm has a shell
> >environment file it drops in /etc/profile.d in order to get the scripts to
> >work without having to edit all the paths.  I'd prefer not to have to have
> >that file in /etc/profile.d for an official 1.0 release ;-)
>
> Also, should the makefiles in SVN target the "proper locations" rather than
> /usr/local ? Right now, my test all-on-one usermode RPM targets
> istall stuff in /usr/local, which isn't really the proper place but it
> is the default target for the makefiles in SVN which allows me to easily
> download
> and build a newer version of the code from SVN, since that is where all the
> makefiles want to put stuff.
>
> If the release .spec files put stuff into places like /usr/lib or /usr/lib64
> and the makefiles from SVN by default put stuff into /usr/local, then if
> someone
> tries to get a newer version from SVN and build it on a platform
> that has the release code (in the proper places) they will end up with a
> mess and could have a mismatch of components depending on how they
> set their path.

My opinion on this is that once you make an official release with the files
in non /usr/local locations, the development tree should be updated to use
those locations as well to avoid the exact problem you cited.  In general,
my thought is that once you go from purely a developer quality product to a
release product with ongoing development, then it's time to start using
official locations instead of /usr/local.  My $.02

--
  Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>     919-754-3700 x44233
         Red Hat, Inc.