[openib-general] SA cache design

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Tue Jan 10 11:42:49 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:55:36AM -0800, Sean Hefty wrote:
> What I think I really want is a distributed relational database management
> system with an SQL interface and triggers that maintains the SA data...
> (select * from path_rec where sgid=x and dgid=y and pkey=z)
>
> But without making any assumptions about the SA, a local cache could still
> use an RDMS to store and retrieve the data records.  Would requiring an
> RDMS on each system be acceptable?

We already have several databases for different things:
	makedb	(primarily for NSS)
	updatedb (fast lookup of local files)
	mandb	(man pages)
	rpmdb	(yes, even on debian boxes)
	sasldbconverter2 (for SASL - linux securty/login stuff)
	*db4.3* (Berkeley v4.3 Database - used by apt-get/dpkg, Apache,
		python, libns-db, postfix, etc)

In fact, looks like a debian "testing" box would be disfunctional
without Berkeley Database. Would that work?

sleepycat.org gives more examples of opensource use:
	OpenLDAP, Kerberos, Subversion, Sendmail, Postfix,
	SquidGuard, NetaTalk, Movable Type, SpamAssassin,
	Mail Avenger, Bogofilter

hth,
grant