[openib-general] Advice

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Jan 19 20:38:01 PST 2006

>1. What usermode tools should I use if I want to use the modules that
>are part of the current kernels (e.g. Fedora). The OpenIB subversion
>code, the IBGD stuff or something else.

Not sure what IBGD is.  The OpenIB svn code matches with that shipping in the
current kernels.

>2. Is there any reason to *not* use the kernel modules that are now
>included with the kernel.org or Fedora kernels? If so, which to use?

Several modules in svn are not yet available in the kernel, so it depends on
what you are trying to do.

>3. How stable is the subversion code? Is it just for testers?

In general, the tip of svn gen2/trunk is stable.  Bugs are usually fixed within
a relatively short time (couple of hours to a day).  The drawback is that it
targets the latest kernel release; however, backport patches are available.