[openib-general] Question about the IPoIB bandwidth performance ?

Bernard King-Smith wombat2 at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 5 08:54:42 PDT 2006

Hal Rosenstock wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 11:12, hbchen wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a question about the IPoIB bandwidth performance.
> > I did netperf testing using Single GiGE, Myrinet D card, Myrinet 10G
> > ethernet card,
> > and Voltaire Infiniband 4X HCA400Ex (PCI-Express interface).
> >

> > NIC (Jumbo enabled) Line bandwidth(LB) IPoverNIC bandwidth utilization
> > (IPoNIC/LB)
> > --------------------- ---------------- --------------
> > (2.6.12-rc5 patch 1)
> >
> > Why the bandwidth utilization of IPoIB is so low compared to the others
> > NICs?
>
> One thing to note is that the max utilization of 10G IB (4x) is 8G due
> to the signalling being included in this rate (unlike ethernet whose
> rate represents the data rate and does not include the signalling
> overhead).
>
> -- Hal

You also have larger IP packets when you use GigE ( especially in large
send/offload ) and Myrinet. I think Myrinet uses a 60K MTU and for GigE,
without large send you get a 9000 MTU. With large send you get a 64K buffer
to the adapter so fragmentation to 1500/9000 IP packets is offloaded in the
adapter.

Currently with IPoIB using UD mode, you have to generate lots of 2K
packets. With serialized IBoIP drivers you end up bottlenecking on a single
CPU. There is a IPoIB-CM IEFT spec out which should significantly improve
IPoIB performance if implemented.

> > There must be a lot of room to improve the IPoIB software to reach 75%+
> > bandwidth utilization.
> >

> > HB Chen
> > Los Alamos National Lab
> > hbchen at labl.gov

Bernie King-Smith
IBM Corporation
Server Group
Cluster System Performance
wombat2 at us.ibm.com    (845)433-8483
Tie. 293-8483 or wombat2 on NOTES

"We are not responsible for the world we are born into, only for the world
we leave when we die.
So we have to accept what has gone before us and work to change the only
thing we can,
-- The Future." William Shatner