[openib-general] Question about the IPoIB bandwidth performance ?

Talpey, Thomas Thomas.Talpey at netapp.com
Mon Jun 5 09:17:20 PDT 2006

At 12:11 PM 6/5/2006, hbchen wrote:
>>Perhaps you are out of CPU.
>>

>Tom,
>I am HB Chen from LANL not the Helen Chen from SNL.

Oops, sorry! I have too many email messages going by. :-)
HB, then.

>I didn't run out of CPU.  It is about 70-80 % of CPU utilization.

But, is one CPU at 100%? Interrupt processing, for example.

>>Outrageous opinion follows.
>>
>>Frankly, an IB HCA running Ethernet emulation is approximately the
>>world's worst 10GbE adapter (not to put too fine of a point on it :-) )
>>
>The IP over Myrinet ( Ethernet emulation) can reach upto 96%-98%  bandwidth utilization why not the IPoIB ?

I am not familiar with the implementation Myrinet uses. In any
case, I am not saying that an emulation can't reach certain goals,
just that they will pretty much always be inferior to native approaches.
Sometimes far inferior.

Tom.