[openib-general] Question about the IPoIB bandwidth performance ?

Parks Fields parks at lanl.gov
Mon Jun 5 11:16:31 PDT 2006

>I consider IPoIB to be Ethernet emulation.
>
>As for apples and oranges, my point exactly.

It is not really about comparisons. Here at LANL we have an
environment where all our new Clusters have to mount our global
parallel file system Panasas. It is ethernet and will be for a while.

Cluster interconnect is IB and the compute nodes do NOT have
ethernet, so we created i-o nodes to "bridge " IB to ethernet.

Compute node----IB---i/o node---10gig---ethernet switch ----  panasas

We like to match / balance the network to bandwidth to storage
bandwidth plus try to achieve 1GB/sec per TF of the machine.  EX:
50TF machine  = 50 GB/sec of storage bandwidth needed.

So if IPoIB would give us ~700 MB/sec and came out the other side
with 10gigE at ~800 that would be nice.
Hope this helps.   We are now trying to find out is SDP will work end-to-end.

thanks
parks

                    ***** Correspondence *****

This email contains no programmatic content that requires independent
ADC review