[openib-general] Question about the IPoIB bandwidth performance ?

Parks Fields parks at lanl.gov
Mon Jun 5 11:54:04 PDT 2006

At 12:36 PM 6/5/2006, Talpey, Thomas wrote:
>Thanks Parks, this is a very interesting perspective.
>I will avoid going into my rant about edge devices for
>now, however. :-)

Cool, you can send it direct if you want.

>I am not sure what you mean about using SDP "end to end".
>I assume you would perhaps use SDP to these edge nodes,
>but this would require terminating the SDP connection and
>re-issuing the stream over TCP to the Panasas box, wouldn't it?

yes It would probably have to work that way. Another problem would be
SDP is not routeable.

>Would this bridging be done in-kernel, like your IPoIB/Ethernet
>solution today, or would you implement a daemon? It will be
>a difficult challenge, I predict.

We are just starting to think about things like this, and trying to
keep an open mind to all possibilities.  We have no solutions to do
this yet. There might be better ways.
So you are correct and haven't thought it all the way through and
have no alterative plan other than IPoIB at the moment.

My next step will be testing 4x-ddr IPoIB before doing anything else.
parks

                    ***** Correspondence *****

This email contains no programmatic content that requires independent
ADC review